Menu > Settings > Users and security
The user with role admin can manage list of users for Saltcorn site.
- ID number
- Role (see user roles below)
- More options (...) menu
- Set random password
- Disable - temporarily disable a user account
- Delete - permanently delete a user account
There are 4 default roles in Saltcorn.
- admin - The user with this role has maximum security privileges. It administers all the settings and data of Saltcorn that is available for administration though Saltcorn web interface.
- staff - This user role for site staff members. It is an "added" role and can be deleted.
- user - The role for registered users of the site.
- public - This user role is used for making parts of the site is publicly available (to all unauthorized users). Usually users are not assigned this role.
As you create content for the site you can assign roles to function.
For example, if you have a team blog, you can assign "write a blog post" to staff. You may want the public to be able to leave comments on the blog without signing in.
If you have a Wiki, you may want assign "edit a page" to users (who are signed in).
You can set a different Theme for each Role. Install themes from Menu > Settings > Plugins > Themes.
Add a new role
The staff role is an added role and can be deleted. You can add other roles using Add new role
Use the ID number to "rank" the permissions of the new role. For example a role ID 4 Management will have all the permissions that are available to staff, user and public roles.
- Allow signups
- Show the Login in menu
- New user form view
- Login view
- Signup view
- Allow password reset checkbox (see below)
Password reset emails
You can enable users to request an email with a password reset link at the login prompt. If you enable this, you will also be able to send a password reset email from the user administration page.
To enable password reset emails, you must change these configurations:
- Set email settings in About application > Email page. This involves setting the parameters for connecting to an SMTP server so emails can be sent.
- Tick Allow password reset
If there is an error sending an email, for instance if you have supplied the wrong SMTP server password, the application will crash and you will be able to see the error message in the crash log. This may give you a clue as to the configuration error.
There are 2 options for HTTPS encryption
- HTTPS encryption with Let's Encrypt SSL certificate
- HTTPS encryption with custom SSL certificate